Popular Posts

Monday 11 August 2014

Potato Picking

It was a great day today for digging up some of my Desire late crop potatoes. The storms had passed leaving sunshine and showers to soften the soil making it easy to put the fork in.
I grow Desire every year because they are the only variety that seem to do well in my clay soil. I rotate the crop every three years so as not to infect the soil with blight.
I planted about 3 kilo in the spring and hope to harvest around 4 hundred weight which will last me until next April. I wont be lifting all of them up just now, but will wait for the binds to dry out which will be early September. 
I will then store them in the garage and cover with sacking to give some protection from the frost. Every now and then I'll check the sacks for any disease as one bad potato could infect the whole sack.

Me with muddy boots and hands after digging potato's

My crop of Desire potato's drying off in the sunshine.



2 comments:

  1. When I had my plot I loved growing Desiree - when digging them up it was like finding red jewels in the ground - they always store well too, now I just grow early potatoes in containers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the comment on my blog and for following me. You have really made my day .....xx

    ReplyDelete