Popular Posts

Sunday 10 August 2014

Bringing in the harvest

I have always been keen on growing fruit and veg, i suppose i got it from my dad who up until his death at the age of 91 spent many a day cultivating his allotment to supply the family with fresh organic produce. 
The thing i remember most was when mum dished up new early potatoes, carrots, peas and beetroot that dad had painstakingly grown. There is no other taste like it.
Now that mum and dad are no longer here i feel i must carry on where they left off. So with all the skills and knowledge i have learnt from them i am able to supply my family with home grown produce too.
The one thing i am proud of so far in the garden is my sweetcorn, due to the ideal growing conditions this year here in Essex the cobs have filled out well and today i harvested the crop.
I like to pick the corn when it is just ripe as if its too over ripe it tends to loose its sweetness and doesn't keep as well in the freezer, I then blanch them in my Burco boiler for a few minutes,(this is only used for blanching veg) cool it down quickly by putting it in a bowl of cold water, drain it well then bag it up and put freeze straight away. 
If some of the cobs are too long i cut them in half as it makes it easier to put in the freezer bags. 







  

No comments:

Post a Comment